The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Aristocracy is catching on to Homeschooling  (Read 2775 times)

NuclearDruid

The Aristocracy is catching on to Homeschooling
« on: February 14, 2006, 09:48:56 am »

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_08/b3972108.htm

Slater Aldrich doesn't attend any of the top-shelf public or private schools near his family's Madison (Conn.) home, not even his mother's alma mater, the $18,000-a-year Country School. Instead, the 11-year-old spends his days playing the role of town zoning officer, researching the pros and cons of granting approval to a new Wal-Mart (WMT ). Other endeavors include pretending he's a Sand Hill Road venture capitalist, creating Excel-studded business plans for a backyard sheep company, and growing his own organic food. "It's kind of like living on a white-collar farm," says his dad, Clark Aldrich. Aldrich vowed he'd never put his kid through the eye-glazing lectures he endured in school, even at prestigious institutions like Lawrence Academy and Brown University.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
Re: The Aristocracy is catching on to Homeschooling
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:54:04 pm »

"It was nerve-racking because we're all brainwashed to believe that our children have to be in school,"

Yes, yes, YES!!!!  Someone who really gets it!

"I don't have that inner Buddha inside of me," says Miles-Morillo.

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ :laugh: :laugh:
Christine
Auto-Didact, Writer, and General Malcontent
http://thedeadlynightshade.com/
http://homeschooladvocate.org

lewlew

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 06:53:12 pm »

Wow-- terrific article. 

I  try at every opportunity to reveal the silliness of the socialization myth.  I was at a children's birthday party (my daughter offered to come and help with the kids' games. She babysat the birthday boy), and one mom went on and on about how weird homeschooled children are (before this topic came up, the same woman had gone on and on about how nice my kids were). 

I finally had enough, and in front of all the adult guests, I asked the hostess if she thought my kids were weird.  The hostess said, "No, in fact your son helped me carry in the groceries the other night when he was over visiting.  My kids didn't offer." 

I turned to the lady dissing homeschool kids and said firmly, "My children were homeschooled," and  walked away.

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:00:55 pm »

D'oh!

Good for you!
Christine
Auto-Didact, Writer, and General Malcontent
http://thedeadlynightshade.com/
http://homeschooladvocate.org

MSlee

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 09:34:54 pm »

quote]and one mom went on and on about how weird homeschooled children are

I personally prefer my children to be weird. :mellow:
it is kind of like  Dave Ramsey says "normal is broke and up to your eyeballs in debt"

I can't get a quote out of my head from an earlier thread....

It was from an African official working with S. Africa's homeschool population..(I can't find it again)

Paraphrasing...... "all the public schools are good for is training children fit for the military or federal prison"

Makes you think.....

I turned to the lady dissing homeschool kids and said firmly, "My children were homeschooled," and  walked away.

You know, This reminds me of when my children were younger and a lot of "moms" were always down on parents who didn't put their children in daycare/preschool.... I always felt they must really be insecure, because all you really have to do is walk into one daycare and you know who the better parents are.   

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 01:00:14 pm »

When my mother (who lives in LA)  brought up the issue of socialization I said:

"If I want my children to learn about metal detectors - I will take them to the airport for a field trip. They already learn about handgun and knife handling at home during PE".

Funny when ya' look at your mom and her chin hits her belly button. She never brought up the issue again. Of course she hasn't spoken to me in about 2 years either....hhuummm.

Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

lewlew

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 12:16:10 pm »

MsLee said:
You know, This reminds me of when my children were younger and a lot of "moms" were always down on parents who didn't put their children in daycare/preschool.... I always felt they must really be insecure, because all you really have to do is walk into one daycare and you know who the better parents are.   
  I agree wholeheartedly.  I couldn't bear putting my babies in a daycare, and scrimped to avoid it.  There was one stint where I had to go to work, and we tried a daycare for a bit-- my kids cried EVERY DAY.  They were pulled out, pronto, and a neighbor took care of my kids in our home.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 07:24:15 pm »

I have mixed feelings about that article. We home schooled our daughter before it became
acceptable, and endured a lot of the stuff that the readers of this forum are familiar with.
Now that the 'elite' have discovered it works, however,  it's now becoming the thing to do.
While I'm offended by the attitude and presumption of the 'creative class' described in the
article, I do think it will help normal people get on with their lives of home schooling because
the 'elite' have the pull to stop stupid laws and ordinances.

The other thing that bears pointing out that all of the sources quoted in the article who
oppose home schooling have a vested interest in the old system.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear
Pages: [1]   Go Up