The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gulching / Definition on Gulching ??? (MERGED)  (Read 90743 times)

vermontmountainman

Re: Gulching / Definition on Gulching ??? (MERGED)
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2011, 06:02:39 pm »

The Northeast Kingdom is still quite rural, in the right parts. Go around Averill, Ferdinand, etc., and you'd swear you were in a different state than the rest of Vermont. Hardly anyone there and lots of room to get lost in. I think it's more the few larger towns/cities in the NEK that have been ruined.

Of course it's hard to get around the fact that the nanny staters in Chittenden County and elsewhere in the state run things and drive the taxes and regulation up. You can get away with ignoring more of them in the NEK than the rest of VT but not everything.

I bought land near Manley Hot Springs for $550 an acre. Those kind of deals are up there but hard to find. I still haven't moved there myself because of things that have happened here, but that's life for you. Still in the People's Republik of Vermont (it disgusts me what has happened to this once great, once free, state, can you imagine if Ethan Allen were around today what he'd do...).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:07:50 pm by vermontmountainman »

hawthorn

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2011, 11:47:06 pm »

Just out of curiosity, how many acres did you get up there (or do you plan on having, in total)?  I haven't picked up any land yet, out west here, but I'd be ok with 100. (I dream about a square mile, but backing up to national forestry land is better)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2011, 07:11:58 am »

Just out of curiosity, how many acres did you get up there (or do you plan on having, in total)?  I haven't picked up any land yet, out west here, but I'd be ok with 100. (I dream about a square mile, but backing up to national forestry land is better)

Well, that's a nice dream for folks who have that kind of money. Most of us don't, unfortunately. Realistically, you probably can't make use of that much land anyway. Even a few acres can be a serious challenge to take proper care of sometimes.

Far more important than hundreds of acres out in the wilderness, I think, is finding a like minded community to become part of. You can't live totally on your own without trade and mutual aid/support - at least not for very long. If you are all alone, you can't stand guard 24/7 - and still take care of a farm or any of the many other things that go along with "gulch" type living.

The combination of skills, tools, supplies and a safe place are essentials, of course, but don't overlook the absolute need for neighbors you can trust and work with.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

hawthorn

« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2011, 10:21:39 pm »

Yep, finding those good neighbors isn't easy.  If I ever luck into a place, guess I'll just start making friends.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up