The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soon You'll Have To Ask Permission Before You Fly (or not?)  (Read 9016 times)

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
Re: Soon You'll Have To Ask Permission Before You Fly (or not?)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 12:21:49 pm »

Be careful. Sometimes the quest for steady income 'till TSHTF lands folks in really funny places...

I've got you 5x5 shipmate. [Being in the same "boat" ....  :rolleyes: ]

I am applying at the mechanically oriented places [I seem to be ....] and the farm/ranch oriented places. [I absolutely love being outdoors.]
I like people but don't really deal well with a$$hats even in public so most of the retail slots repulse me. The hardware stores and Farm/Ranch places are exceptions.
I have been in public sales and public relations with the charter boat business and even there you can find the odd a$$hat.

I am Hoping that the local radiator repair place will be the one that takes me on.
[Mechanical work with a useful "after" skill to be absorbed]
The second choice is the local florist/nursery/gardening place. [Being out of doors again ...]
I did swallow my disaffection and attempt to apply at Wally World only to find that they want to have your permission to research your financial history. {To stock shelves and answer questions ? Too nosy for me thanks. }

I will, indeed, be careful ....
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 10:20:28 pm »

Be careful. Sometimes the quest for steady income 'till TSHTF lands folks in really funny places...

I've got you 5x5 shipmate. [Being in the same "boat" ....  :rolleyes: ]

I am applying at the mechanically oriented places [I seem to be ....] and the farm/ranch oriented places. [I absolutely love being outdoors.]
I like people but don't really deal well with a$$hats even in public so most of the retail slots repulse me. The hardware stores and Farm/Ranch places are exceptions.
I have been in public sales and public relations with the charter boat business and even there you can find the odd a$$hat.

I am Hoping that the local radiator repair place will be the one that takes me on.
[Mechanical work with a useful "after" skill to be absorbed]
The second choice is the local florist/nursery/gardening place. [Being out of doors again ...]
I did swallow my disaffection and attempt to apply at Wally World only to find that they want to have your permission to research your financial history. {To stock shelves and answer questions ? Too nosy for me thanks. }

I will, indeed, be careful ....

It seems like *most* places these days,  or at least most of the ones I end up applying at,  are saying how they're gonna pursue all sorts of info on you,  including "consumer credit checks".  And I know of at least one instance where somebody got turned down for a job that they were otherwise well-suited for because of "bad credit".  Huh?  They didn't pay the damn bills because they needed a job and they're not gonna get a job because they didn't pay the bills?  Screwy logic if you ask me,  but nobody did.

I just either never hear from anybody or else I end up getting these nice rejection letters occasionally,  telling me how they'd thought my background impressive but that it wasn't quite a fit to what they'd envisioned or that they found somebody else who was better qualified (though they don't say how usually) or something of the sort.

It sounds to me like you're saying that you might do better with smaller local places than the BigCorp chain stuff.  I have been having similar thoughts lately as well.  Dunno how much of that is gonna be left any more,  though,  the way things are going around here...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Ghost

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 10:42:53 pm »

Gooch, have you given any thoughts to being a charter captain in the Caribbean or elsewhere...I am not sure about papers and nonsense like that but it would keep you on the water and away from any chance of your feet getting dry.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 08:20:27 pm »

Gooch, have you given any thoughts to being a charter captain in the Caribbean or elsewhere...I am not sure about papers and nonsense like that but it would keep you on the water and away from any chance of your feet getting dry.

Ghost, I actually spent four glorious years as a charter captain down in the Virgins. [Both US and BVI]
Great work and I'd absolutely LOVE going back to that BUT I don't own a boat and I no longer have the documents.
[Passport, USCG Masters License, Z-card, etc which are all now issued by the DHS .... shudder ....]
I cannot even go there without that paperwork. [Or won't be able to shortly when they institute the Passport travel restrictions.]

All of the paperwork is required in the Caribbean and on some of the Islands one must have the credentials from the historical patron country.
[France in St Martin, England in Barbados, etc]
In Puerto Rico and the USVI DHS issued licenses are required and in the BVI the requirement is for either DHS or Her Majesty's Admiralty's official YachtMaster classification or better. PLUS as a non-resident one must obtain a very expensive local "Work Permit"
which states that you are not taking a job from a local citizen.

The option is to have ones own vessel and do charters on the "sly".
Problem is one cannot advertise publicly as that will bring the Goons running for their "cut of the loot". [Fines and Fees - think about losing your boat in one of their RICO Style Grabs ....]

Not that I even own a canoe mind you ....  BUT ....
IF I owned a boat I could sail out of the Texas coast quite easily but also "under the table" at risk of loss of my personal freedom and my vessel ....
IF I owned a boat I wouldn't jeopardize it like that .... would you ?

I thought not.
Thanks for the kind thoughts tho' ....
Actually .... I'm more worried about my gills drying out than my webbing withering between my toesies ....  :ph34r:  :laugh:
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

vonuvan

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 11:44:23 pm »

Time to get serious about that jetpack!:-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up