The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LRC: Liberal Edicatin'  (Read 1764 times)

Junker

LRC: Liberal Edicatin'
« on: May 09, 2006, 06:49:23 am »

LRC:

Real Education by Ira Katz

A liberal education? Nice, but school is not needed, and has its drawbacks. A general article for those interested in the question of 'liberal education'.

And, edit in, while I catch up on the readin' after being out and about:

Some Interesting Facts About Home Schooling by Brad Edmonds

"The government education establishment appears to have given up trying to portray home schoolers as the religious-right fringe and as hillbillies who don't have the capacity to educate their own children.  It is clear that home-schooled children outperform government-schooled children on achievement tests, so some still try to claim that home-schooled children aren't well socialized.  All such claims have been disproved in recent years.  Additionally, home-schooling statistics reveal a few interesting surprises."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:14:02 am by Junker »

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
Re: LRC: Liberal Edicatin'
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 02:30:46 pm »

Nice, but school is not needed, and has its drawbacks.

I haven't stated this opinion in a while, and I am in a really bad mood right now, so I just have to spout off with this that I have stated before for the benefit of those who are new enough to have missed it.

I maintain emphatically that it is better for your child to stay home with no educational direction from you than to allow them to attend these socializing public indoctrination centers.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Junker

Re: LRC: Liberal Edicatin'
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 05:04:47 am »

I thought it better to have your nym on the front page for this thread for a few days, so I've held back.

Ragnar> I maintain emphatically that it is better for your child to stay home with no educational direction from you than to allow them to attend these socializing public indoctrination centers.

Yes!!! (Perhaps I need to use less understatement.)

I also believe that to the degree private schools have tried to imitate the public schools, they have become just as destructive to the students. I would neither go nor send my children to either public or private school and advise the same for anyone else's education wants.

And beyond that, I believe any structured education system will tend to damage rather than enhance. It's part of the nature of that beast. In essence, teaching always replaces learning how to learn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up